2. Nylon is the most common material for socks these days. For such a sock, left on the land fill, it might take thousands of years to decompose!
3. Putting on a fresh pair of socks is a much-loved experience, mentioned over 10,000 times a week on twitter
5. What Mao Tse-tung, Adolf Hitler, Muammar al-Gadaffi and Joseph Stalin all have in common – wearing white socks!
6. In 2013 the russian army started using socks for the first time.
8. The billionaire Sultan of Brunei owns the world’s largest sock drawer, which is spread over three storeys of his mansion and has a staff of thirty.
9. The township-level district of Datang in the city of Zhuji in Zhejiang Province, People’s Republic of China, has become known as Sock City and is responsible for a third of the world’s socks supply.
10. Wearing socks during sex makes it easier to reach an orgasm.
11. Socks and sandals is considered the No:1 fashion faux pas for men
12. A family of four will lose up to sixty socks every year.
13. The world’s most expensive sock – £30m Emperor Diamond Sock, woven with precious jewels and gold thread. It is, however, useless as its makers never made a create a pair.
14. There’re a huge amount of awareness days which involve socks – odd sock day, red sock day, rock your socks day, novelty sock day…
15. The peak time for buying socks is ten minutes before the shops close on Christmas Eve. Many customers are unaware that you can buy socks online all year round.